I love salads. They taste fresh and they make you feel good. However, I have never been able to give up salad dressing, which usually defeats the purpose of eating a healthy salad. Many salad dressings are high in calories per tablespoon and are high in unhealthy fats. So I’ve been on the lookout for a healthy homemade ranch dressing recipe.
This recipe is adapted from Show Me the Yummy and is full of flavor! (http://showmetheyummy.com/homemade-greek-yogurt-ranch-dressing/).
It is higher in healthy fat, higher in protein and lower in calories than store-bought dressings.
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- ¼ teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dill weed dried (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ avocado
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Place the spices (dried parsley – fresh chives) into a food processor and pulse a few times, until the spices have been ground up a bit.
- Scrape down the sides.
- Place the remaining ingredients – greek yogurt, avocado, buttermilk, Dijon, and lemon juice – into the food processor and pulse until the ingredients have been fully incorporated.
- Scrape down the sides, if needed, and pulse again.
- Transfer into a sealable container (like a mason jar) and store in the fridge.
The whole recipe is 350 calories and has 13g fat, and 31g protein.
By Tiffany De Leeuw