One of the QUICKEST and EASIEST ways to make consistent progress on your health and fitness goals is to SIMPLIFY. I know we love complex plans because if it’s complicated and hard, we think it MUST work.
And maybe it does… but for most of us, we already have full lives and we don’t want to make taking care of our body a full-time job.
Today I want to keep it as simple as possible with some basic guidelines that will apply to most people that want to be fit and healthy.
With respect to exercise …
- Move your body everyday. Ideally 30 minutes of something each day. Yes, everyday.
- Strength train at least 2 x per week. Include simple movements that target all the main muscle groups. The strength workout should challenge your muscles (in other words, lift heavier than your bag of groceries!)
- Stretch daily. 5-10 minutes minimum
- Take more opportunities to move- park further away, stand instead of sit, etc.
With respect to nutrition …
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day
- Eat when you’re hungry, stop when you’ve had enough/ are physically satisfied
- Minimize processed foods, sugar and alcohol
- Eat more whole foods
- Eat some protein, some fat and lots of veggies at each meal
Keep it simple. And if this seems overly simple, ask yourself: AM I DOING IT?
If the answer is yes and you’re happy with your progress, keep going!
If the answer is yes and you’re not happy with your progress, make a small improvement.
If the answer is no, pick one and start.