Want a little challenge with YOURSELF this week?
This challenge is all about a little FRIENDLY competition – with yourself.
Your assignment: set a daily step goal that’s a little bit of a reach for you and GET IT DONE.
→ 2,000 steps is about 1 mile depending on your stride length.
If you normally rack up a lot of steps every day, shoot to maintain or maybe even do just a little more
If you’re usually sedentary, aim for 2,500 to 5,000 steps a day and then work on boosting that.
Whatever number you choose, the goal is to GET MOVING and get into the habit of tracking your progress.
A few ways I get in extra steps a day
I walk my son to school (with the pup)
I often forget things upstairs or downstairs- and run to go get it
I take the stairs whenever I can (versus the elevator). Sometimes it’s an adventure to find the stairwell.
I usually do an ‘afternoon energy break’ which is most often a walk
I at least mix up standing with sitting when working and sometimes walking on my treadmill desk
On weekends we go for a hike as a family
I usually don’t park further away- mostly because I just want to get in and get out!
Here are some tips for racking up more steps:
● Take a daily walk around the neighborhood
● Park farther from your destinations
● Walk the dog
● Talk walking meetings
● Use the stairs instead of the elevator
● Walk in place during phone calls and Zoom meetings
● Take up an active hobby like gardening, golf, or tennis
● Get moving on the playground with your kids or grandkids
● Change it up! Throw in some intervals of faster walking during your normal walks!
You can track your steps using a fitness tracker (like Fitbit or Apple Watch) or use the one built right into your smartphone.
Let’s make MOVING a habit! Are you IN?
Share your daily step goal below!