We’re living in uncertain times, no doubt.
Given that certainty is a core human need, many of us feel afraid, confused, overwhelmed. These emotions are valid and understandable.
It would be so easy to throw in the towel and abandon your health, fitness, and weight loss goals. After all, we are in a crisis. What does it matter if we get up and do our strength workout or make the healthier choice at dinner?
It matters. It has always mattered, and it matters more even more right now.
Our health has never been more important than it is right now. We need to make our physical and psychological health a priority to stay strong, both for ourselves and those we may have to care for. We want to strengthen our immune system when we need it most.
While there are many things we can’t control right now, we CAN control how we choose to think and act at this time. My goal is to help transform panic into preparedness, problem-solving, and purposeful action.
Even in the most scary, uncertain times, there’s always opportunity. We don’t get stronger by always lifting the same weights – we have to lift heavier if we want to get stronger. We have an opportunity now to do some heavy mental and emotional ‘lifting’. I believe that if we pull together, we’ll make it through AND I believe we will grow stronger, wiser, and more resilient.
Here are a few opportunities to improve your life in this strange time:
- Prioritize taking care of your health. Taking care of you is a priority, regardless of the status of the coronavirus. And while this is a novel situation, there have ALWAYS been challenges that could be used as a reason to not take care of ourselves. A sick parent or child, vacation, holidays, financial stress. If you felt pressed for time a month ago, you may find yourself with extra time now! Stick to the basics: move your body daily, drink plenty of water, eat mostly whole foods in portions that make you feel energized rather than sluggish and stuffed. This is an opportunity to PRACTICE those lifestyle changes.
- Stay connected. Leverage the internet bond with your family and friends. We get so busy in our lives that we often neglect those closest to us. This is an opportunity to reconnect in a powerful way.
- Be a role model to youth and others. This is an opportunity to be an example for the young people in your life. You can show them how to handle adversity. How to take personal responsibility.
- Stay calm and practice gratitude. At first, I felt strange recommending gratitude. Or encouraging people to avoid panicking. You do not have to subscribe to the panic or be consumed by negativity to show that you care or that you think this situation is real and severe. When a fire breaks out in a building, we have our best chance if everyone stays calm and works together. You buy insurance for your house to be prepared, but you don’t spend every waking minute worrying there will be a fire or flood.In this uncertain time, we do have a lot to be grateful for. Our spring weather in the Fraser Valley, the internet so we can stay connected, the ability to download books on the internet.
- Grow yourself. Read more. Listen to podcasts. Journal and uncover what you want out of life. Again – all of these things you never made time for are perfect for right now. Use this time to DECIDE who you want to become.
Your thoughts control your emotions. Your emotions control your actions. Your actions today control your future outcomes.
Know where you want to be when this blows over, as it inevitably will.
Align your thoughts with that now so you can create it.
How we react to all of this is largely a choice, for better or for worse.
Together, we will get through this.
I’m planning to come out stronger in every way. Will you join me?
1. We have just launched registration for Ascend Together- we kick things off on April 6th! For more information or to register go to www.ascendtogetheronline.com
2. Subscribe to the Podcast on iTunes or your favourite podcast player app.
3. Want more no-BS nutrition coaching so that you can ditch dieting, and ACTUALLY stick to it? Get started with my Free Course: The Diet Rules ACTUALLY Worth Following to end the fight against your body and to get to your happy, healthy weight naturally and permanently. www.tanjashaw.com/freecourse